Step 1: A Fair Flip?
- Use this simple, hands-on game to help students develop a deep understanding of chance, probability, and random processes!
- Share A Fair Flip with individuals or small groups and have them explore it.
- Students will simulate flipping a coin ten times, then report their results. Collect, display, and discuss their results. After students learn about probability, they'll each do ten more flips with each coin to try to figure out which of two coins is FAIR, and which is UNFAIR. This helps them develop an understanding of how random processes work, and of how to spot whether variation appears to be due to chance or not.
- After students have made their best guesses about which coin is fair and which coin is unfair, reveal the
Step 2: Safe & Effective
- How do scientists know if a vaccine works? How do they know if it's safe?
- Help students understand exactly why we can be confident that vaccines are Safe & Effective!
- On Slides 2-13, students will learn about the process of testing vaccines. On Slides 14-16, they'll be able to test four hypothetical vaccines for themselves. They can record their results in the Record sheet found on Slide 15.
- After students have made their best guesses about both safety and effectiveness, reveal the
Step 3: Inside the COVID-19 Vaccine
- Want a peek at how the COVID vaccine was created? Check out It's Okay to be Smart: Inside the Lab that Invented the COVID-19 Vaccine.
- Got questions? Blue Apple can connect you with Lisa Birmingham, who worked on the Pfizer vaccine team, to discuss your class's vaccination questions.
VacciNation is a great project. But if you like these activities, you'll LOVE the full Blue Apple Experience! Check out Prevent the Spread, where students learn all about germs and what schools can do to stop them in their tracks—shop all their Project-Based Learning experiences here !
Use the discount code VACCINE21 to save 10% off on any Blue Apple projects!