Preparing for Lesson 2
Before the lesson, preview the three activities:
- How Blossom the Cow Saved Millions of Lives (Slide 6 of the Student Edition)
- The Hunt for the Truth (Slide 7 of the Student Edition)
- Disease in the Green Kingdom (Slide 8 of the Student Edition)
Decide which activities are right for your students and how you'd like to explore them. You could do all of them or just the one you like best. You can do them in any order. Or, you could have some students try one activity, and others try another. Consider having students explore all three using a Jigsaw approach. It's up to you!
Once you've made your choice, tell your students which activities you'd like them to explore, and how you'd like to explore them!
How Blossom the Cow Saved Millions of Lives
She didn’t do it alone, of course. She had the help of milkmaids, an eight-year-old boy, and a brilliant scientist who did something that maybe, just maybe, he shouldn’t have. Your students will find out for themselves how this unlikely team saved millions of lives!
The Hunt for the Truth
How do scientists test whether a vaccine works? How do they make sure it isn’t dangerous? In this lesson students can explore exactly how scientists test vaccines to make sure they’re safe and effective.
Disease in the Green Kingdom
It’s one thing to hear about how diseases spread; it’s another to see it for yourself. In this lesson students create their own hypothetical diseases and explore how illness spreads through the Green Kingdom.
Reflect on Learning
Have students reflect on learning by responding to the following prompts in the Reflection Journal, using a video platform or in the Lesson 2 Google Form (Questions about Forms? Check out the tutorial video.)
- What did you learn today that was the most surprising?
- What did you learn today that might help people feel comfortable with vaccination?
- You can use this project as a springboard for teaching any content you’d like.
- Check out some Blue Apple content connection ideas for grades 3-8 for the entire VacciNation project!
- Do you have comments? Ideas? Additional resources that others might find handy? Email your Project Coach! (Haven’t gotten a Project Coach yet? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Would you like to connect with another teacher doing this project? Email your Project Coach to be connected with another educator doing VacciNation.
- Blue Apple can connect you with Lisa Birmingham, who worked on the Pfizer vaccine team, to discuss your class's vaccination questions.
VacciNation is a great project. But if you like these activities, you'll LOVE the full Blue Apple Experience! Check out Prevent the Spread, where students learn all about germs and what schools can do to stop them in their tracks—shop all their Project-Based Learning experiences here !
Use the discount code VACCINE21 to save 10% off on any Blue Apple projects!