Can we save our school money while saving the planet?
Energy is expensive. Plus, using too much energy is bad for the planet. In this project, students will conduct an energy audit of their school to help the planet—and their school’s pocketbook. Then, they will design, test, refine, and share solutions to reduce energy consumption. Finally, students will pitch the costs and benefits of their solutions to stakeholders.
Imagine if thousands of kids just like yours, all around the country, started making smart choices about energy consumption and shared that knowledge with others. What an impact this would have on sustainability!
What’s included in your project?
Project Plan and Resources
Lesson 1: Students understand the importance of saving energy.
Lesson 2: Students reflect on the energy usage of common household appliances.
Lesson 3: Students understand the different ways in which energy is used in their homes.
Lesson 4: Students understand the importance of saving energy.
Lesson 5: Students understand the value of responsible decision-making as they independently conduct an energy audit.
Lesson 6: Students analyze audit data and strategize ways to reduce energy use in their school.
Lesson 7: Students think iteratively to refine their presentations.
Lesson 8: Students present information to stakeholders.
Interactive Games and Activities
- Home Light Saver Data Sheet
- School Energy Audit
- Virtual Energy Usage Calculator
- Virtual Light Saver Data Sheet
- What Uses Watt Card Game*
- Which Bulb is Better? Experiment Plan
Websites and Videos
- NASA Climate Kids: Light Bulb
- Video: Architects Promoting Energy Efficiency*
- Video: Brainpop — Ethics
- Video: Energy Conservation for Kids – Appliances
- Video: Energy Usage Calculator Tutorial
- Video: Energy, Lets’ Save It!
- Video: Heinz Dilemma
- Video: Sample Student Presentation
- Video: The Magic School Bus Gets Charged
- Blue Apple Press Release Tips
- Creating a Persuasive Presentation*
- Fair Testing: No Fair!
- Home Letter
- Press Release
- Recommended Book List
- Reflection Journal
- Sample Light Saver Campaign Posters
- Student Self-Assessment Rubric
- Teacher Assessment Rubric
- Virtual Home Energy Usage Chart
- Virtual Student Edition